Home / History

History

By the end of the Independence War in 1949, the endeavors of the Indonesian development as a nation-state started in 1950. At that time, there was a great lack of Indonesian scholars to build Indonesia. There were only 200 Law graduates while the number of Indonesian citizens reached almost 90 million.

In facing this situation, the leaders of the Catholic Church in Indonesia felt called upon to participate in overcoming the problems. They decided to establish a Catholic University in Indonesia. Yet, at that time, still no concrete action was taken due to the difficulties in establishing any university in Indonesia.

1955:

Arntz - Geisse

January 17th, was the beginning of the institution establishment and currently known as Parahyangan Catholic University. At that time, “Akademi Perniagaan” (the Academy of Commerce) was established by Bishopric of Bandung, as a result of cooperation between the Bishop of Bandung, Mgr.P.M.Arntz,OSC. (deceased) with the Bishop of Bogor, Mgr.Prof.Dr.N.J.C.Geise,OFM. (deceased). In August 1955, the Academy of Commerce was changed into “Perguruan Tinggi Sosio-Ekonomi Parahyangan” (Parahyangan Institute of Socio-Economic Studies) currently the“Fakultas EkonomiUniversitas Katolik Parahyangan” (Faculty of Economics of Parahyangan Catholic University).

1958:

Peresmian FH - FT

September 15th, Parahyangan Institute of Socio-Economic Studies established a new faculty. This new faculty was the Faculty of Law. As time goes by, the name of Parahyangan Institute of Socio-Economic Studies changed into “Perguruan Tinggi Katolik Parahyangan” (Parahyangan Catholic Institute of Higher Education). October 31th, in accordance with the prevailing act, was established as a legal foundation enjoying legal status, as the executive body of Parahyangan Catholic Institute of Higher Education.

1960:

A new faculty known as Engineering Faculty was established with its two departments, namely, Civil Engineering and Architecture Engineering.

1961:

FISIP

The Faculty of Social and Political Sciences was established this year. Thus, Parahyangan Catholic Institute of Higher Education has four faculties, as follows: Economics, Law, Engineering, and Social and Political Sciences faculty. In this year, Act No.22, 1961 regarding Institutes of Higher Education was officially released, therefore, the name of Parahyangan Catholic Institute of Higher Education changed into “UNIVERSITAS KATOLIK PARAHYANGAN” (Parahyangan Catholic University).

1962:

On April 19th, in accordance with the Decree of the Ministry of Higher Education and Sciences, No.55, 1962, Parahyangan Catholic University was legitimized legally as equivalent to a State University.

1963:

The development of university was not only focused on the increasing number of faculties but also on the improvement of scientific infrastructure. Therefore, a Scientific Research Institute was established in order to support the general implementation of Tri Dharma (the three responsibilities of Higher Education Institutes).

1981:

In accordance with the new policy regarding accreditation and its prevailing period in the sphere of Department of Education and Culture, thus, based on Ministrial Decree No. 027/0/1981, Parahyangan Catholic University was relegitimized as a Private University with equal status, for a three-year period of time.

1983:

Peresmian FF

January 1st, the School of Philosophy and Theology Suryagung Bumi merged into Parahyangan Catholic University, named the Faculty of Philosophy and legitimized by the Decree of KOPERTIS, Region IV No. 515/KOP/IV/Q/82 on November 20th 1982. On October 19th 1983, Faculty of Philosophy was legitimized by the Department of Education and Culture based on Ministrial Decree No. 0446/0/1983, named Faculty of Philosophy, department of religion that has an active status leading to an academic degree.

1985:

On January 20th, Parahyangan Catholic University was relegitimized for the second time as Private Institution with an equal status for a five-year period, based on the Decree of the Ministry of Education and Culture No. 040/0/1985. In accordance with the content of the decree, the name of Social and Political Faculty changed into Faculty of Social and Political Sciences. On the other hand, the name of Scientific Research Institute also changed into Research Institute in order to be in conformity with the terms of Government Regulation, No. 5 of 1980.

1986:

In accordance with the changes in the implementation of the national education system in Indonesia, on March 19th 1986, four faculties of Parahyangan Catholic University, as follows: Faculty of Economics, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Social and Political Science, and Faculty of Engineering, attained an equal status, for a three-year period of time.

1989:

On September 1st, the equality status relegitimized for a three-year period, in accordance with the Decree of the Indonesian Ministry of Education and Culture No.0527/0/1989. On September 6th, in accordance with the Decree of the Indonesian Ministry of Education and Culture No.0527/0/1989, the status of the Faculty of Philosophy was acknowledged legally for a four-year period.

1990:

On November 23th, the NTA-58 Project was established officially, which was a cooperation project between the government of Indonesia with the Kingdom of Belgium. There were three executors (University of Indonesia, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, and Parahyangan Catholic University) in order to conduct the Magister Program in the field of Administration and Economic Planning.

1993:

FTI

The establishment of the two newfaculties in the academic year of 1993/1994, namely Industrial Technology (consisting of two departments, namely Industrial Engineering and Chemical Engineering) and also Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences consists of two departments (Mathematics and Physics Departments). The active status of these two faculties has been derived from the Decree of Ministry of Education and Culture No. 34/D/O/1993, April 20th 1993.

1994:

On February 3rd, in accordance with the release of the new policy which stated that the Faculty of Law was no longer a department but a particular program, the Decree of Indonesian General Director of Department of Education and Culture No.62/DIKTI/Kep/1994, relegitimized the equal status of the Study Program of Law in UNPAR Faculty of Law, for a three-year period of time.

1995:

On May 12th, the Company Management and Civil Engineering Diploma III Program were established with an active status derived from the Decree of Depdikbud No. 120/DIKTI/Kep/1995. Four years later, these two study programs of professional education gained equal status. On June 23th 1995, through the Decree of Depdikbud No. 312/DIKTI/Kep/1995, Magister Programs of the four study programs were established, as follows: Master’s degree in the fields of Management, Law, Civil Engineering, and Architecture.

1996:

On August 8th 1996, based on the Decree of Director General of Education No. 420/DIKTI/Kep/1996, established the Department/Study Program of Computer Science for Undergraduate Degree with an active status at Parahyangan Catholic University.

1997:

On November 17th, based on the Decree of Indonesian Ministry of Education and Culture No. 78/D/O/1997 regarding Study Program Accreditation Outcome for Undergraduate Degrees at university, the Study Program of Economics and Development Studies, Accounting, Management, Law, Commercial Administration, International Relations, Government Administration, Architecture and Civil Engineering gained accredited status.

1999:

Guided by the spirit of enhancing and developing the quality of human resources through Higher Education in Indonesia, on December 23th 1999, UNPAR succeeded in gaining permission in order to Conduct the Doctoral Program for Civil Engeneering and Law faculties.

2000:

On April 17th 2000, UNPAR gained permission to conduct Master’s Program in Social and Political Sciences and a Doctoral Program in Architecture. Then, on April 24th 2000, permission was granted to conduct Master’s Programs in the fields of Theology and Economics.

2008:

In order to improve the quality of education in UNPAR, in 2008, the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Science changed its name into Faculty of Information Technology and Science, and consisting of several study programs, namely: Informatical Engineering (formerly, Computer Science), Mathematics, and Physics. On December 31th 2008, the Faculty of Economics established Professional Accounting Program (based on the Decree of Directorate-General of DIKTI No. 4690/D/T/2008).

2009:

On February 3rd 2009, the Master’s Program established the new two Master’s programs, namely one in Industrial Engineering and the other in Chemical Engineering (based on the Decree of Directorate General of DIKTI No. 111/D/T/2009.

X